Wednesday 14 May 2008

Jenn's Migraines

Pulling out of races is always a tough choice, and choosing to sit out an important event is even harder, but that's been my situation for the start of the 2008 season. I am now back on track, but by way of an explanation, you could say I've been nursing a sore head.

For the past two months I've been plagued with repeated migraine attacks. They started at the end of March at a rate of roughly one per fortnight, which was cutting a hole in my training, but it was manageable. By mid April it was every week, and with accompanying nausea. An attack in the week before the first round of the NPS at Thetford left me queasy and unable to eat properly, and although I woke up on the morning of the race feeling fine, my legs turned to jelly in the third lap, and I barely managed to finish.

The Enduro 6 two weeks later was an important race for me, as I'd won it for the past four years and wanted to defend my title. I'd had a migraine attack in the week before, but I'd recovered OK and managed to eat plenty. I didn't count on another attack so soon, and was
distraught to get the tell-tale blind spots and blurred vision on Saturday morning as we drove to the race venue. I managed to sleep out most the afternoon in our tent, and in retrospect I should havepulled out of the Nocturne TT, but I was determined to ride through it.

I woke up on Sunday feeling tired and headachy, but determined to start my race. I bumbled on for 3 ½ hours before I started to feel dizzy and sick, and although I was still leading, I realised that I just wasn't going to finish, and had to pull out.

This was a big turning point for me, as the attacks had become a serious problem and I was determined not to lose any more races to the migraine monster. I went to see the doctor first thing the following Monday and underwent a raft of blood tests. The doctor gave me a
prescription for a drug called Zomig to help stem the symptoms, and I spent the week recovering. The following weekend was a bank holiday, and I was back in bed, with two attacks in two days. The Zomig wasn't working, and Andy and I decided to sit out the second NPS the
following weekend, until we could find out what was causing the migraines.

Back to the doctor on Wednesday 7th May, and a new prescription, this time a long-term daily medication called Pizotifen, designed to work on the serotonin receptors in the brain to stop migraines occurring. Unfortunately the side effects are said to include drowsiness, fatigue
and weight gain, but I was ready to try anything to stop my migraines.

I am now one week into my medication, and so far so good. It's been a full week today since my last attack, which is the longest time since mid April that I've been without a migraine. I'm coping with the drowsiness, and spent nearly 10 hours on the bike over the weekend.
Looks like I'm back in training.

My team-mates have been a fantastic support to me and Andy over the past weeks, with Ruth and Simon flying the flag at Enduro 6, and Ruth bringing home the goods with her first NPS win at Round Two on Saturday. Many thanks to all my team and sponsors for your patience
and goodwill. It will take a few weeks to bring my form back, and there is no guarantee I won't have another migraine, but I'm feeling good and starting to feel strong again.

My next scheduled event is the third round of the NPS at Grizedale on June 14th and 15th, where I plan to be back in action, and I'm looking forward to catching up with everyone at the track.

Thanks and warmest regards,
Jenn

No comments: