Friday 25 July 2008

British National XC Champs - Masters Women

Race Report by Ruth Mordaunt
The British National Championships was just one of my goals this season, and although I had several objectives during the race, I ultimately wanted to win.
Leading up to the Nationals I had trained consistently with some tough sessions set by Andy. I felt strong and ready to race and was hoping this preparation was going to transfer to a result on the day. The event was set in the New Forest with the course designed in a clover leaf style so as to make it more exciting for the spectators in the central arena. The course was typical for the region; flowing single track through the forest. The course offered no big gradient but this was deceptive as although the hills were short they were steep, frequent and relentless, placing more emphasis on consistent effort over technical ability.
This year, the women’s Masters category had raised its standard, with huge improvements all around and especially from Emma Bradley. Also a strong contender was newcomer to mountain biking, Nina Davies who has represented Wales both at National and Commonwealth Games Road/TT racing and National Cross racing too. Furthermore, Theresa Jackson and Caroline Goward looked fighting fit with race experience on their side. We were all gunning for the National title and it was good to be finally on the start line for battle to commence.
It was me who shot off the start line on the motocross section, with Nina and Caroline following closely behind before entering the first section of single track. During this section I tried to settle into a rhythm, but then the first power kick grassy climb put me into the red. I continued to lead for the first half of lap one with Nina and Caroline tucked in just behind me and then Theresa and Emma only a few seconds chasing. It was close, and I knew I had to push on and adopt some race tactics to try and cause a break between us. However, Nina attacked first on the next short yet steep climb into the arena. We were both determined to make it first through the narrow closing but Nina just managed to squeeze past and overtake to gain a small gap. Obviously I did not want to lose sight of her so I was on the chase, but the power drag that proceeded through the woods just zapped the strength out of my legs and it was then I dropped back a little.
During the end of first lap and on one of the few parts of the course where you could grab a drink, Caroline attacked and overtook, leaving me in third position with Theresa and Emma motoring just behind. I remained calm, especially as I had been warned that other riders from earlier races in the day had blown due to not taking enough fluid and fuel on board. So at this point I made it a priority to refuel and successfully resumed a steady rhythm to power on back to Caroline. This seemed to work as it did not take too long to catch up with Caroline where I felt exceptionally strong and overtook her during the second lap. Now all I needed to do was to get to Nina and attack, but it was going to be tight as now she had gained a good 1 ½ minutes on me and I only had one lap to go. I continued to ride a strong final lap and made up some time but unfortunately I could not close the gap to Nina.
Nina rode to the finish line to take the Master Woman National Championship title and I came home not long after to take silver and with Caroline taking bronze. Well done to Nina Davies and to the Master Women category as a whole in raising the racing standard in this category this year. I am now looking forward to the next and fourth round of the British NPS in Staffordshire where the battle between us will be sure to recommence!
Full results and lap times can be found at www.timelaps.co.uk

The 2008 Masters Women podium (from left) Caroline Goward, Nina Davies and Ruth Mordaunt.

No comments: