Sunday 22 March 2009

Ruth has just returned from training in the Santa Cruz Mountains region, California, USA.

My main purpose to San Francisco was one of a family matter, but obviously with such good weather and awesome mountain biking trails outside my brother’s back yard it would be rude not to take an opportunity like this and explore such wonderful surroundings on two wheels. It also gave me a chance to get in some tough training sessions up those amazing long climbs.

My brother lives in the Santa Cruz mountain region, where his house sits on top of a mountain ridge and surrounded by Redwoods. A danger zone for the potential earthquake along the San Andreas Fault and general forest fires, but his front door opens up to a world of mountain bike trails which he was hiding from me... until now! Approximately 30 minutes easy ride is the Forest of Nisene Marks State Park and Demonstration State Park, both of which offer excellent mountain biking trails. http://www.singletracks.com/php/trail.php?id=709.


At the weekend the parking lot at these State Parks are full with enthusiastic mountain bikers eagerly wanting to show off their skills on the trails. The trails incorporated speedy singletrack snaking its way through the Forest with lots of rooty sections and tricky descents. Fast and furious downhill sections acclaimed lots of smiles and racing heartbeats. Being the only female amongst the group did not deter me when it came to attacking the trails and testing my biking skills. Oh and I also had to show them girls can climb fast too!!

My brother also hooked me up with a couple of locals whom regularly ride the Wilder Ranch State Park in Santa Cruz. Again these trails offer fast flowing trails through the trees.
http://www.singletracks.com/php/trail.php?id=95


Unfortunately whilst attacking a technical downhill section I lost the grip on my front wheel and flew into a bush of which I was later told it was 'tick' season and you had to watch out for 'Poison Oak' too. When I showed off my red spotted rash on my leg to the bike shop guys they confirmed Poison Oak. My brother went into panic mode as it is highly contagious, but I was just pleased to have enjoyed such an awesome mountain biking adventure.

The movie clip was a return road climb from Santa Cruz up to Loma Preita point which is approximately 3,700ft. Here I did some over-geared sessions.

Also, my lovely nephews enjoyed the spirit of training too and when it was possible I collected them from school to enjoy a testing bike ride home via the Christmas Tree Farm. Watch out I think we might have another team member joining Patterson Training!

No comments: