Wednesday 1 July 2009

BMBS XC Round Four Masters and English Marathon Champs

Race Report by Ruth Mordaunt

Having raced at Crow Hill a handful of times over the past couple of years, including the 2008 National Championships, it all felt familiar to be back on that start line in the New Forest. However, much of the course used previously was now in reverse for this race, which played havoc with my slight autistic traits!
As Jenn mentioned below, this weekend was an important part of the training program: two hard days of racing – the final overload, before I begin to taper off towards the National XC Champs in Innerleithen on July 19th. So with fatigued legs from Mountain Mayhem last weekend followed by a further week of training, I really was not expecting to do well this weekend, just do the best I could and finish.
The usual suspects lined themselves up on the start line for a four lap race. This year another strong Master Woman’s field, including Emma Bradley (Torq Kona), Nina Davies (Ogmore Valley Wheelers), Kim Hurst (Owen Cycles) and newcomer Malin Tindberg (WDBMC/Beyond MTB).
From the gun, Kim, Emma and Nina shot in front on the grassy opening track and I tucked in behind for the first section of single track through the forest. Both Nina and I overtook Emma about half way around lap one, but then my right shoulder connected with a tree, as I lost tractio on some slippery tree roots. I panicked because I lost sight of the leading girls, and a few minutes later lost my front wheel again on another tree root and hit the ground exceptionally hard, and proceeded to swear - a lot! I know it is not race etiquette but it hurt.
At this stage Emma and, I think, Malin and Natalie Wase (Dirt Divas) had overtaken me. So 20 minutes into the race and I was back in about 6th place. I was not happy. My shoulder and leg were throbbing, but the adrenalin started to pump and a switch went in my head, and I had to have a word with myself! I climbed back on my super light carbon Cannodale Scapel and set off determined to claw back time from the disastrous first lap.
The course was relentless and deceptively hard work, but during laps 2 and 3 I made up some places and overtook Kim, who later retired from the race. Entering the final lap I realised I was in the running for a podium position so long as I kept my cool. I had Emma in sight and overtook her at the beginning of lap 4 and remained in front. Unfortunately I never managed to catch up with Nina who took the win just over a minute in front. Well done Nina.
I was really pleased with this result, especially considering the fatigue in my legs from Mountain Mayhem and the attraction I had to tree roots on lap one. It helps that I have such a superb bike. It flew around that course, even though my legs might not have been up to scratch. I also got a lot of lovely support around the course to be grateful for - there is nothing more motivating than your mother shouting “pedal faster” from the side lines!


Above: Ruth gets her first podium of the weekend, along with Nina Davies (centre) and Emma Bradley.

Then it was all about recovery for Sunday’s English 50km Marathon Championship. Now if I thought my legs felt fatigued on Saturday, they really really felt fatigued on Sunday morning. How was I going to finish a 50km race with legs like these? There were only 4 contenders in the 50km Senior Women category, including Annie Simpson (my team mate) Malin Tindberg and Hannah Minter (Pedalon). However, all 50km women started together, including Junior and Vet categories, making it 11 women in total.

From the gun, Annie and Bethany Crumpton (Junior) took off at such a fast pace that there was no way I was going to be able to maintain 4 x 12.5km laps with them. During the first steady climb I was overtaken by Carla Haines (Junior) and Malin. I had nothing left in my legs. I kept turning the pedals, but there was no power. “Oh, this was not looking good” I thought. So I decided to play to my strengths and push on through the singletrack sections and keep a steady pace on all climbs. During lap one I overtook Carla and Malin and had Annie and Beth in sight. However, Annie looked in a lot of pain going over the bumpy field. I was gutted for her that she had to pull out, but understood. It was relentless, and without a full suspension bike her back must have been hurting big time.

During lap 2, Beth and I kept each other company. Beth would speed on up the climbs and I would catch and overtake her through the singletrack. Knowing that this was Beth’s first 50km race, I knew she would have trouble judging the pace. As I expected, during lap 3, she wasn’t speeding past me on the climbs anymore and in fact I continued ahead by myself, taking the win for the 50km Senior Women English Marathon Championship approximately 7 minutes in front of Malin in 2nd place.

I was in a world of pain for the majority of that race, but kept telling myself “this is brilliant training for the National Championships, keep going girlie.” Giving up was not an option and strength of mind and determination is a powerful tool when the going gets tough.


Above: Podium number two and an English Champion's jersey. Malin Tindberg is the runner up.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You did all that and you are damn sexy as well! What until I get fit!