Tuesday 18 August 2009

Brighton Big Dog 2009
Saturday 15th August
Stanmer Park, near Brighton
Race Report by Ruth Mordaunt
The Brighton Big Dog race was held at Stanmer Park; a wonderful parkland of trails tucked between Brighton and the South Downs.
It was a six hour endurance event around an eight mile course through predominately awesome singletrack. The rain had held off and the course was riding well on Panaracer Razer’s, which meant it was going to be a fast and furious race. I was very excited about race day and could not wait for Saturday to arrive!

We started in a grass open area for about 200 meters or so before darting left and cutting right into Stanmer Woods through the endless singletrack on offer to us. There were approximately 500 riders taking part in this event, whether they were part of a team, pair or solo riders. I opted for the women solo category. I was a little nervous as this was the longest ride I would have done all year. So my aims for the race were a) survive (!) and b) do consistent lap times.



So with a lot of riders on the start line and then a sharp left into the woods, you needed to be at the front. So I made sure I was lined up with the fast boys. Jenn you would have been proud of me!




My main competitors were Nicky Hughes (Activ) and Jenn Hopkins (The Northern Minx). I did not know any of the others on the start list in my category, and did not want to underestimate the ability of an unknown rider. So I wanted to have a good start and a fast first lap.

The course entered the woods from the main arena ready for the first climb of the day; short and sharp with several tricky tree roots, so you had to pick a good line. Then we headed right and were in a haven of singletrack woodland. It was brilliant fun to ride, but you had to be continuously focused as tree roots and logs could trip you up. The course was deceptively hilly and you definitely needed your climbing legs.

As with tradition, it would not be the same without me crashing on the first lap! Yes, approximately 20 minutes into the race I was cornering around some tree roots, lost my grip and slammed into the ground. Ouch! My elbow, knee and thigh were throbbing. I knew I had cut my elbow as the blood trickled down my arm, but the adrenalin of the race makes you jump on your bike as quickly as you can and this usually makes you forget about any pain. I thought at least I have got the crash out the way, so I won't tell you about the crashes on lap 2, 3, 6 then!

The course crossed over the A27 via bridge into another section of woodland. The volume of riders and the twisty turns in the singletrack slowed everyone down, which wasn’t great when we disturbed a wasp’s nest. The wasps were not impressed with us and proceeded to attack all riders who entered their territory. I was stung on my arm twice and later found out that many others had been stung too (including Jenn Hopkins with three or four bites across her back), so the course organisers changed the route for lap two.





The course was up a short climb back over the A27 and then up up up, which by lap 3 was the start of my cramping legs. Each lap I got my breath back and then it was back into woods for some more dips, dives and traverses across the woodland before bringing you out at the buzzing arena.





After the first lap I thought I was in the lead, as Jenn nor Nicky had passed me, but Dean (our pit bitch for the day), confirmed that I was second to a No. 23 whom was approximately 1 minute and 30 secs in front. “Really. Who is she?” I later found out that No.23 was Cait Elliot, Elite rider and National Champion for Ireland (UCD), whom has just returned from living in the French Alpes. So the next two laps I put in a big effort to try and claw back some time but also trying to keep in a steady rhythm as it was a long race and it was achievable to make up this time difference. Laps two and three were quicker lap times than Cait and I could see her just in front of me. However, come climbing on lap four, my legs started cramping to the extent I had to stop and stretch out my legs. I could see Cait push on and I just had to drink lots and ride steady for the next 5 minutes whilst the cramping eased.

When I went past the feed zone on lap five the time difference was approximately 4 minutes. I knew then that I just had to ride this next lap again within my pace as I was on the edge of cramping on every hill and hope that I could push on the last lap. I made sure I drank lots of PowerBar Energise drink which contained the magic isotonic formula. It worked as I rode a faster lap on my last lap, but still ended up 4 minutes 40 down on the winner Cait Elliot.

However, I surprised myself how well I did. I not only completed a 6 hour enduro, but with fairly consistent lap times and a podium position. Nicky Hughes taking third position whilst Jenn Hopkins was fourth.




The Brighton Big Dog was a huge success; amazing singletrack, awesome atmosphere, excellent organisation and good weather. Also, they definitely know how to create a party atmosphere with presenting you with a pint of Sussex beer as you cross the finish line and the profits of the race go behind a bar in Brighton for you to go and enjoy yourself.

I will be sure to mark this race in my calendar for next year.

A huge thank you to some lovely friends whom came to support me, especially Janet Gardner (who has the loudest cheer!), Jane and Huw Powell, and Colin Holt. Also, thank you to Karl whom took some great shots and used in this report. Finally, a massive thank you to Dean (Mountain Trax) whom fed and shouted at me to eat and drink more.

Ruth

2 comments:

M&J said...

Nice one Ruth! Good to see a local gal on the podium. It was a pleasure being overtaken by you!

Unknown said...

Well done you for not only flying but also having fun whilst doing it! Four or five turned out to be nine stings. No wonder I couldn't pedal :-(