Saturday 13 September 2008

Merida Sportive, Penrith

Jenn and I have just completed the Merida Sportive in Penrith, and yes
it did rain. The course was mainly back lanes that incorporated short
sharp rises and tight twisty descents. With rain and road filth in my
eyes I took us up a wrong turn five miles from the start that perhaps
added 15 minutes to our time.

I lost Jenn on a fast descent (I didn't just leave her that was the
plan) and hit the gas. The roads were in a bad way and it was a
miracle I didn't puncture. At about 60 miles there is a euro gradient
climb between Melmerby and Renwick with a tailwind it was bliss to
climb. Jenn was having the usual bother from male riders who overtake
her just because she's a woman then get in the way. Jenn was having
none of it and gave some lads the Lance Armstrong stare and showed
them how to climb, I would have paid to see that.

I was waiting for the wall I usually hit but it didn't arrive, my legs
were strong but I had bad nausia that sapped my ability to push on. My
speedo says 88 miles at 18 mph so I'm happy with that, Jenn was about
30-40 mins back, I'll check the times and post them later.
Off road tomorrow.. Where did I put those crud catchers

No comments: