Monday 15 September 2008

Merida Weekend

Home and dry at last, from yet another mud fest. Despite the weather and conditions, I managed to acheive the training overload that I'd set out to acheive, in preparation for Dusk til Dawn in three weeks' time.

I decided to ride the 50km event on Sunday, as I knew the conditions would be slow, and I didn't want to be out for more than about three hours, after spending nearly six hours on the road bike the day before. As it turned out, conditions were worse than slow, they were horrendous. The sunshine on Sunday morning was lovely, but there was no way it could have dried out even the road sections. Most of the course was knee-deep bog. Without devoting too many column inches to whingeing and moaning about a disappointing weekend (cold showers, revolting food etc), the course conditions alone were bad enough that the event on Sunday should really have been cancelled. Enough said.

Next weekend will see Ruth race her last event for the season, the sixth and final round of the Southern XC series at Bordon. Fingers crossed for some sunshine and fast racing down South!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

'the course conditions alone were bad enough that the event on Sunday should really have been cancelled. Enough said.'
If this is what you think, stick to your road bike and put the fat tyres away! Sunday's event was excellent! A lot of people I spoke to thought the technical aspect of it was fairly easy and they, like me rode more than the 50k! You obviously haven't done much 'proper' lakes riding!

Jenn O'Connor Patterson said...

I used to live in Ambleside, so I've done a fair bit of riding in the Lakes. It's one of my favourite places to ride, wet and dry, and hence I expected the terrain to have held up to the rain better than some other places in the UK. Unfortunately it didn't.

I didn't find it particularly technical, but I don't consider a swamp to be a "technical element". It's not something I'd ride through, given the choice.

I'm glad you and others enjoyed Sunday's event more than I did.