Monday 1 June 2009

BMBS XC Round Three

Margam Park, Wales

30-31 May 2009

Race Report by Jenn O'Connor

It was a bag of 4th places for Altura Patterson Training this weekend, along with a few DNFs. It was also the most glorious weather we've had for years, and a real taste of summer. No complaints from me, but there were a fair few people panting by the end of the day on Sunday, and more than a few smiling sunburned faces.

Our elite women's race was the first off on Saturday morning, and I was lined up with all the usual suspects. As in all our races this year, there was no way to pick a winner, and everyone was eagar to get a good result. My legs felt strong, and I was feeling pretty good. My concussion at Round Two in Dalby three weeks ago had left me feeling wiped out, and the bruising in my knee still comes and goes, but in the days leading up to this race I was finally starting to feel strong again, and I'd been really looking forward to the weekend.


The Elite Women's race gets underway, beneath a cloudless blue sky.

I got a pretty good start too (yes, I have been practising), and rode hard to stay on the wheel of Kate Potter (Cotic Bontrager) as we rode into the first climbs. Kate has spent the best part of this season getting battered about in the elbow-to-elbow throng of the World Cup circuit, and it has clearly done her confidence the world of good. She tapped up the climbs and rode off the front of the bunch without a backward glance. Behind her I settled into a rhythm and was soon trading places with Sue Clarke (SiS) and National Champ Jenny Copnall (Look RT). By the third lap we'd settled into our positions - Sue 2nd, Jenny 3rd and me in 4th, which was how the race finished. I was tiring over the last two laps and losing minutes, which was a bit disappointing as I usually have much better stamina than that. But 4th is a fair result in such a strong field, and I know I can train my stamina back. I was also quietly pleased to see all the old favourites back on the podium, showing the young guns we're not ready to roll over just yet!

The Master Women's race started a few minutes after ours, and Ruth managed to but her troubles behind her and put in a solid effort to secure 4th place in her race behind Masters Champ Nina Davies (Ogmore Valley Wheelers), Kim Hurst and Emma Bradley (Torq).

Andy raced in the Master Men's event in the afternoon, but was forced to pull out after three laps, as his atrial flutter came on and wouldn't calm down. It's not a serious condition, but causes his heart to beat fast and shallow, so he has to lie down and wait for it to stop. It was still tapping away at 210bpm two hours later, and we were about to have him carted off to the cardiac unit when it finally dropped back to a normal rhythm (just as I finishing cleaning his bike).

Sunday was the British Marathon Champs, and everyone on our team was having a crack at it, apart from me (the Kiwi). I was designated pit helper for six people - Andy, Nadine, Annabel, Ruth, James Hampshire (Nadine's partner) and Ross Creber (Annabel's partner). I did a lap of the 22km course in the morning before the race and nearly didn't get back in time for the start. Carting water, food, chairs, tools, buckets etc up into the Feed Zone was exhausting enough, and I certainly have new respect for those who do this chore at every race.

Ross was first through, in the lead bunch with Oli Beckinsale (Giant RT) and Paul Oldham (Hope). James (XCracer.com) was next, riding well and cheerful as always. Then came Annabel, sitting mid-pack in the women's field. Annabel had never attempted a marathon before and was pacing herself well. Nadine was not far behind, also racing the miles into her legs and riding well. Ruth came through looking very determined in the 50km half marathon race.

Andy eventually came in on foot, having shredded his semi-slick Panaracer on a rocky descent, and then puncturing again after repairing it with a tube. He fixed his tyre again in the pits, and while I was busy with the track pump, I missed Ross coming through for his second lap, still up with the leaders. Sorry Ross! Luckily Andy caught him when he missed a gear at the top of the feed zone, and gave him a bottle.

Oli eventully won the men's title, with Paul second and Ian Bibby (Halfords) taking the bronze. Ross finished fifth, a great result. The women's championship was won in convincing style by defending champion Sally Bigham (Topeak Ergon), who etched out a 10 minute lead over Jenny Copnall. Jenny showed her class as the only rider to finish in the top three after racing the XC the day before. Jane Nuessli overtook Gemma Collins in the last lap to take the final medal position. Nadine rode a steady race to finish 11th, while Annabel had a bad crash on her third lap, and was bitterly disappointed not to finish.

Ruth finished 4th in the 50km event, while Andy finished three laps, but had lost so much time with his punctures that he didn't go out for the fourth, and so also didn't finish. As for me, I'm so exhausted after five hours running about in the sun passing bottles that I'm taking a rest day to recover!

No comments: